Sunday, December 25, 2011

drown me!


i keep erecting tall fences
between you and me as i ignore you
in your tattered garments pushing
the shopping cart on the inner city road

and i strengthen that fence
with an extra post as i
pass by you lying on a floor
concrete, cold and hard

and again, this time when my heart
holds you in contempt those handful
in black garments standing
on roadside holding placards

reading: stop racism and promote justice
yet another post i plant
as i pass the asian immigrant
and i secretly drop a thought in my heart

“the cause for my lack of prosperity”
the wall between you and me goes taller       
with my attendance in festive feasts
and my gusty singing in solemn assemblies

while i watchfully uphold my wallet
hence now i pray for your grace
that you dismantle the fences
i have erected, and uproot

those fence-posts i have posted
to keep you out, flooding me
with your charm until i drown
completely, in you, my poverty


No comments: