Saturday, February 23, 2019

forgive my shirk



grant me oh the nameless
Name
unlimited forgiveness
and overwhelming grace

when i in my nasty arrogance
in foolish forgetfulness
while breaking and smashing
idols of clay, silver and gold

tearing into pieces
icons on printed-paper
or painted canvas
molded through extreme care
and drawn with patience so rare
employing artistic mind
with untiring hand

concurrently retain in the bosom
of my petty being
the silly pride of my race, learning
and other worthless achievement

in such way covetously
ridiculing the tribe, tradition
and other earnings
of my numerous neighbors

considering silently
my puny self, more important
than those who live
and toil around me

entertaining and persisting
in that surest shirk
the groundless superstition
that the sweetest sound
surely, is my own name

henry victor     18.01.1995



No comments: