Thursday, September 21, 2017

present and future



i was schooled to think it is my inalienable right
to plan my life, both private and professional
in advance; but now i learn a tune very different:
this planning is a privilege of only the privileged

sequence of events yesterday
forced me to forsake today
my dreaming and working
to the end of tomorrow

today i’m left with that narrow way
a road with road less ahead found among
living every day as it is my last
walking in faith with a sense of duty

plodding as though a great future
still lay before me
now i think and act not for my sake
but for the new generation

my daughter’s, taking each day as
it comes without fear or any anxiety
that is the spirit in which i now subsist
persuaded to live in my daily practice

but those who hold the key
do not make it easy for me
to stay brave and move forward
yet i do since i’m already schooled

© henry victor     03.07.2003



No comments: