Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Frost on frosty night



whose woods these are, i’m sure, i know not
my house is not in any one of these hamlets
that i drive through this snowy evening
and my wife will not want me to stop here
to enjoy the Westlock woods fill up with snow


my Ford Focus will think it stupid
to stop when there was no skidding
on this icy road near the Devil’s lake
with temperature below minus two zero
on the darkest evening of this year


the cd player sings it well
expressing a pleasant mood
the only other sound is the engine
that warms my leg space too well
to keep me from freezing this winter


roads are winding, slippery, and dark
fear of deer, moose and coyotes
keep me slow and hesitant though
but to my daughter i promised a hug
and kilometers to go before i sleep


henry victor     08.01.2003




No comments: