Friday, June 27, 2008

Immigrant


Uprooting myself, and packing my belonging
Into just a small manageable size
But with a lot of hope, joy, and adolescent excitement
To encounter greater civilization, more humane humans
I am, now, an in-secured immigrant

Amusing, those few harmless in the host land,
Lamenting not their ignorance of other cultures,
In whose atlas is absent, the country of my origin; they
Excuse me, for the lack of their accent, and
Note of me, silently in heart: from distant planet, an alien

Instigate I, also anger and vengeance
Not in too many, but in few with evil and malice
To whom the whole truth – my economic welfare
Ruining their interests; and I,
Uninvited guest, to the land of plenty, imports
Diversity, that which they hate; to
Ease tension, they desire my leaving –
Room into which, for them, I am an intruder

Similar are not the other in greater number
To whom charity, but not informed by very plain
Reason for the commencement of migration,
And willingness to share their excess, the unwanted, with
Needy and poor, the wretched in sojourn,
Giving them a different identity; they gladly
Ease my burden, within their boundary
Realizing that I am, in midst of them, a powerless stranger

Gone back, I would have, to my own hell!
Unless there were those who speak truth in plain words:
Economic welfare of host-land, prime reason for opening doors;
Samaritans, they are, in the true sense!
To them, therefore, I am none but an honoured guest

Uprooting myself, and packing my belonging

I am, now, an immigrant…

Henry Victor 08.04.2001

No comments: