Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Luggage

Fifty years of life, learning, and luggage
Five million rupees worth of asset
Ready to seek fertile soil, but at present
Reduced to seven pieces of baggage:

A Chinese alarm clock
A pan to cook Tamil breakfast
Coins to get to the airport
Carefully selected photographs

Dictionary to dictate denotation
Diary with names and addresses
Fabricius’ Bible of 1777 (not for reading!)
Fennel seeds and Dianil tablets for excess sugar

Gifts for prospective friends
Games to play in the plane
Priceless papers defining degree
Precious documents permitting to ‘pee’

Some cotton clothes for company and self
Sandalwood soap, silky socks and shoes
Underwear’s to last only for some years
Umbrella to take cover from cosmic curse:

Arriving in the new home I discovered
Arrival of my luggage is to be delayed
While I rapidly learnt my sending root
Without withering too to be postponed

Henry Victor 09.07.2002

No comments: