Wednesday, June 25, 2008

New Sharpeville


Dove, the daughter of peace
With her two friends, from Noah’s dinghy
Alighted, this spring morning, on my neighbour’s roof
With still a little more melting snow
Her pals, different colour, guys or gals, I don’t know
Since the three wore unisex garment concealing curves!

Did she come here now to claim back her house
On that ex-Portuguese fellow, my fellow citizen’s rooftop
Or, did the trio come to announce the new Sharpeville
While on this day of March 21, 2006
I am still stuck in that old one of 1960!

For sure they made my mind drift
From Sharpeville massacre to ship: I now thought
Where is the boat berthed? What was life like in that yacht?
How do I decipher the depth in that human heart?

My intuition then prompted me to meditate that togetherness
An easy exercise when an escape is the single notion
Coming down from my morning meditation
I timidly queried: Will you fly back to the craft tonight?
Or, bear a little cold until the white stuff melts
To build that new Sharpeville with no apartheid!

Henry Victor 23.03.2006

No comments: