Monday, June 23, 2008

Queen of My Garden


You were hardly four years
As you ran around the dry flat ground
With no fence around to mark what was bound
To be yours, at least for some years
To own and enjoy with yours
The orchard that I made with great pride
Creating in my own life many a great stride
Through that land others mistook for a pond
With a cooler wind closer towards the dusk
As the purple berry tree held the western sun
From burning your skin
And the only other tree
That gave you your first lessons on climbing
Adding to nature’s goodness is that wood apple tree
That also gave you and your friends
Soft and fleshy juice in a cup of hard shell
That softness of that ground I did transform
Even as you grew taller to bicycle
And later to ride that motor bicycle
As mum returned from her errand
Until one day you were bribed and I had to let go
Your claim for that land that had desired to crown
My princess, you, as the unchallenged queen of my garden!

Henry Victor 23.04.2006

No comments: