Tuesday, July 29, 2008

To Evelyn Menzies


Among your friends
I was the last to visit with you
My ignorance the prime cause for my delay
But soon your contact
Made such an impact
And I’m here this daybreak
With your other friends
Not merely to conceal
In earth your feeble frame
But to canonize
Your lasting personality
While what you left behind
In Barrhead Museum
Will surely bemuse many

Beauty was that you created
Much colorfully
Also artfully
With your flowers
In farm, outside
And in room, inside
Beauty was that you saw
In animals that crossed your way
And birds that flew to your window
Beauty was all that was in your soul
Beauty is all that you take to your eternity

Simplicity was the costume you wore
Humility was the path you walked
Eternity is the destination you reached
Until I see you in that eternity
Good-bye Evelyn
May your soul rest in peace
And let light perpetual shine upon you

Henry Victor 24.01.2003

No comments: