Tuesday, January 13, 2015

turning my thoughts


i turn my thoughts to you
i like to see your face
i have questions that trouble me
that i want you to answer

i seek inner strength with an inner cleansing
since the outer remains rotten
and stinking with greed
for power, control, and domination

‘follow me’, is what i heard
and i have followed that voice demanding ‘kingdom values’
submerged and scattered in sacred scriptures
from that ancient world, also in my conscience

those who fear you are few in numbers
and among those who respect your rule
fewer will pick up their cross leaving me
and other powerless utterly alone and speechless

i pray that you multiply those who stand for right
over the many who push, their might
to break the bruised reed
and quench the dimly burning wick

i pray that you give me courage
to walk away like Jesus, empty-handed
when i am crucified, rather then bending my knees
to today’s Herod and Pilate, the insolent might

i pray that you teach me to trust your providence
your unseen presence, and learn that i will, at the end
take nothing into that beyond
hence strive for nothing that is perishing

 

No comments: